These Greek islands for families are a great option for your 2022 holiday. Sun, sea and spectacular sites can be found around every corner. From families with newborn babies to families with teenagers, there’s a Greek island for everyone. The only difficulty is deciding which islands to visit! Virtual Wanderlust has done the work for you. We have researched the best Greek islands for families. Discover where made the list now.
Table of Contents:
What Makes a Destination Family Friendly?
Each Greek Island is unique. However, the best Greek islands for families all have a few things in common. These are the most important factors that make a holiday destination family friendly.
- Easy Journey – Family holidays usually mean carrying lots of luggage. What’s more, kids and adults alike can get travel grouchy! That’s why destinations with an easy journey are so important. The Greek islands for families listed below have direct flights from London. If not, they can be reached from the mainland by simple ferry rides.
- Plenty of Entertainment – These Greek islands for families all have plenty to keep everyone entertained. Kid-friendly beaches, snorkelling for teenagers, ancient sites for history lovers and much more.
- Good Weather – Greece is one of the most sun-drenched countries in Europe. This is great for encouraging the family to spend time outdoors. However, some islands can potentially get too hot for young children in the summer months. We recommend checking average temperatures before you book. Another great option is to rent a Greek villa with a private pool so everybody has somewhere to cool off during the day.
- Accommodation Options – Every family has unique needs when it comes to types of holiday accommodation. You might want an all inclusive hotel so nobody has to worry about cooking. Or maybe you prefer the privacy and comfort of a luxury Greek villa? These Greek islands for families have numerous options to choose from.
5 Best Greek Islands for Families
There are so many amazing places to holiday in Greece. We hope this list of 5 family friendly Greek Islands will help you narrow down your search. Some popular Greek islands make the grade but there are also some islands you may not recognise! Read about them in more detail below.
Zakynthos, sometimes known as Zante, is a truly magical Greek island. You won’t regret spoiling the family with a holiday here. There are so many gorgeous beaches to explore, you could visit a new one each day of your trip! Some of our favourites include:
- Navagio Beach – The whole family can be wowed by a large shipwreck stranded on the sand here.
- Gerkas Beach – This long stretch of coastline is part of the National Marine Park. The beach is protected because it is where you’ll find loggerhead sea turtles laying their eggs.
- Alykes Beach – The shallow water at this beach is ideal for families with young children.
Zakynthos isn’t one of the best Greek islands for families just thanks to its beaches though! Visiting Zakynthos’ Old Town is a great day out. The pedestrian-only streets are rich with Venetian history and beautiful architecture. To the north of the island you’ll find the Blue Caves. Famous for their beauty and also because everything in the water here looks blue. Even humans! Inside the caves, you can swim, snorkel and scuba dive. Amongst Zakynthos’ green mountains, families can find old windmills, castles and the immaculate lighthouse at Cape Skinari. This is a Greek Island the whole family can adore.
Popular with all ages, Crete is one of the best Greek Islands for families. Crete is the largest Greek island and it is crammed full of fun things to see and do. Kids and adults can all learn something at the fascinating Minoan Palace at Knossos. Crete is also home to the CretAquarium. This is one of the most modern and largest aquariums in Europe. It can be a great place to take children to escape the sun. Sea kayaking, hiking and cycling are all available for active families. Not to mention there are hundreds of beaches to choose from. Some of the best beaches on Crete for children include Matala, Agia and Pelagia. These beaches all have soft sand and warm, shallow water. Perfect for paddling! It’s also well worth visiting Elafonisi beach. The whole family will love the dusty pink sand there. Plus, there are plenty of family friendly tavernas where the whole family can tuck into some local cuisine. All this makes Crete one of the best Greek islands for families of all kinds.
Mykonos is famous for being one of the most picturesque islands in Greece. It is also one of the best islands for family holidays. Family friendly tavernas and restaurants dot the waterside. They serve interesting local dishes as well as meals to suit fussy eaters. Many of Mykonos’ beaches are sheltered and safe for small children. Some of the best beaches in Mykonos for families include Agios Ioannis and Ornos beach. Fancy getting away from the beach? The whole family can enjoy getting lost in the cobbled streets of Mykonos Old Town. Mykonos is an especially good Greek island for families with teenagers. There are plenty of underwater caverns, reefs and shipwrecks to explore for those old enough to try scuba diving. Korfos Bay is another great place to try some watersports. Plus, there is a lively atmosphere and trendy vibe to the island which families with teenagers will appreciate.
Kos is one of the best Greek islands for families who want to go further off the beaten track. Located off the southwestern coast of Turkey, Kos has a little bit of everything. Paradise Beach is one of the most popular beaches for families and for good reason. Firstly, the sea is warm and shallow. Secondly, volcanic gases from the seabed create fun bubbles in the water which are exciting for children to experience. Lastly, there are plenty of parasols for hire to provide much needed shade. For something a bit different, try Agios Fokas beach. This pebble beach is near Bros Therma. These are natural springs warmed by the island’s volcanic past. They are unique and make for perfect little swimming pools. Kos is also one of the best Greek islands for families who love history. The Asklepion is one of many ancient ruins found on the island. You can also visit the last working windmill of Kos in Antimachia. Kids will also love the Melissa Honey Factory. They can learn all about the beehives and production as well as having the chance to sample some of the sweet treats. What’s not to love?
Last but definitely not least of the best Greek islands for families is Corfu! Corfu is brilliant because it has such a mix of things to see and do. Spend one day taking in the historical sites of Corfu Old Town. This UNESCO world heritage site dates back to the 8th century BC! Spend another day enjoying the thrills of Aqualand waterpark. From lazy rivers to steep slides, every family member is catered for. Explore the lush greenery and rugged hills with a hike up to Kaiser’s Throne. The view from here is breathtaking, especially at sunset. Or, spend all your time relaxing at one of the many beaches! On Corfu, the top beaches for families include Glyfada Beach and Issos Beach. Dassia Bay is a great beach for older children and teenagers as there are lots of watersports such as waterskiing and wakeboarding. When it comes to Greek islands for family holidays, Corfu is definitely one of the best.
Your loved ones will adore these Greek islands for families. If you still haven’t found your ideal destination, why not check out these family friendly Italian islands? For more travel inspiration, follow Virtual Wanderlust on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.